Friday, August 12, 2011

A Humble Confession or Why I love Kansas City

Prepare yourself because you will not hear these words very often from me.

I was wrong.

Although I wasn't born there, I was raised in Memphis, TN, and always loved Corky's BBQ.  Wet ribs, pulled pork, hot rolls, fudge pie.  Worth every minute of the sometimes 60 minute wait to be seated. (By the way, if you're a Rendezvous fan, that's ok. I'll still be your friend)

When I moved to Kansas City last year, I thought, I'm sure the BBQ is okay in KC, but it will never be as good as Corky's.  Never.


I was wrong.  (SEE??  You've heard it TWICE now.  Before you get too excited, I won't be saying it again anytime soon unless you count my assertion that parachute pants are happily coming back into fashion...I am probably not right about that either)

Tonight I finally got to try Oklahoma Joe's pulled pork sandwich.  What the hell took me so long? The gas station where the restaurant is housed is just around the corner from my new home in Kansas.  I have no excuse except that all the other places I've tried were just okay, so maybe I wasn't too excited about trying another BBQ place.  But my goodness was I missing out.

I haven't tried the ribs yet, so Corky's hasn't lost its champion status there.  But the pulled pork at Oklahoma Joe's was the best I've ever eaten.  Didn't require a drop of sauce, although I enjoyed that, too.

It made me wanna slap my momma.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate sincerity, snark, and general praise.

Blogging tips